My Career as a Psychologist

My career as a psychologist.

My career as a psychologist.

A hypertext narrative by

Frédérique Ricard

Created with

The Virtual Writing Tutor Grammar Checker

Next

Word count: 2943

Choice count: 24

Section count: 21

Image count: 21

Error count: 0

Field Related Analysis:

Law/Paralegal-Technology : 58 matches (absence, act, additional, alienation, assets, bias, Cabinet, case, charge, children in need, children, client, clients, Clinical, close, compensation, conference, consideration, corruption, crime, criminal, Direction, Enterprise, fact, family, government, harassment, House, interest, intervention, living, mandate, Military, minor, minutes, misconduct, mortgage, mutual, offer, office, option, order, pension, preference, private, profession, public, reputation, Rules, schedule, Sexual, theft, threat, trade, transfer, vacations, victim, volunteer)

Psychology : 46 matches (absence, alienation, anxiety, aptitude, attention, base, behavior, Charlie, client, clinical psychology, compensation, construct, drive, empathy, environment, family, frustration, harassment, intelligence, knowledge, love, mean, motivation, need, order, patient, performance, phone, positive psychology, post-traumatic stress disorder, proposition, psychology, psychologist, reason, risk, self, self-esteem, selfish, sense, set, sexual harassment, sports psychology, stress, superior, thinking, touch)

Tourism : 46 matches (Activity, Area, Breakfast, Client, Conference, Deal, Employee, Enterprise, Environment, Europe, Extra, Goal, Opportunity, Package, Plate, Program, Resources, Restaurant, Sphere, Trade, US, accompanying, administration, benefit, bias, camp, charge, climate, compensation, conference, course, extras, multiple, option, package, pass, pension, plate, program, public transport, rules, through, times, transfer, transportation, waitress)

Target Structure:

alienation (1 match)

bias (1 match)

dead-end job (3 matches)

deter (1 match)

drudgery (1 match)

flirtation (1 match)

fulfillment (1 match)

HR (2 matches)

ins-and-outs (1 match)

invaluable (1 match)

lack of (1 match)

misconduct (2 matches)

more often than not (1 match)

mortgage (1 match)

OJT (1 match)

overtime (1 match)

pension (1 match)

purpose (1 match)

recipient (1 match)

retirement (2 matches)

set aside (1 match)

sexual harassment (2 matches)

straight A's (1 match)

though (1 match)

thoughtful (1 match)

trainee (1 match)

vacant position (1 match)

wage (1 match)

withholding (1 match)

worthwhile (1 match)

Next

My career as a psychologist.

Beginning of a new path.

After being a student at Montmorency College for two years, studying Social Sciences, I have several choices regarding my future career. Invest my time in a dead-end job, in order to gain a wage quickly and take a break from school or applying to university in order to deepen my knowledge about areas that might interest me and thus confirm my choice of profession.

Choice 1 : Applying to university.

Choice 2 : Dead-end job.

Montmorency CEGEP

Applying to university.

I decided to go to university in order to get my degree and pursue my studies. I am motivated to get straight A's by putting thoughtful attention into each of my school subjects, doing thorough management of my time, and putting aside any distractions that might come my way. I hesitate between the University of Quebec in Montreal since it is a school that is close to home, so transportation is easy or the University of Montreal, which is really known for its Psychology programs. Which school should I go to?

Choice 1 : University of Montreal.

Choice 2 : University of Quebec in Montreal.

Université of Montreal

Dead-end job.

I decided to pass the next year working in a dead-end job. It has been two months now since I am a waitress in a breakfast restaurant. This OJT certainly has its benefices, according to me. It allows me to learn rapidly the ins-and-outs of all of my chores. However, being a trainee certainly has its drawbacks. For example, I don't appreciate the bias that takes place in the work environment, recently. In fact, my boss seems to construct the work schedule according to her preference in terms of employees. It is for this reason that I may take a break and volunteer abroad with all the money I have saved in the last weeks. Should I take this opportunity or continue to endure this tough work environment for a while?

Choice 1 : Volunteer abroad.

Choice 2 : Continue to work at my restaurant.

Waitress in a restaurant

Volunteer abroad.

I volunteered in South Africa for a period of 6 months and It has been one of the best moments of my life. It was totally invaluable the feeling of being useful to people in need. It was quite different from feeling disadvantaged and left out when I was working before. I had a real purpose when I was working with children in need. In helping to build schools, I had a real goal of making life miserable easier for these poor toddlers. After this unique experience, I decide to come back home and to consider my options. Should I come back to school or continue to work at my old job?

Choice 1 : Come back to school.

Choice 2 : Continue to work at my old job.

Volunteering abroad

Continue to work at my restaurant.

While I am working, I try to remain calm to do my best to avoid conflicts between my coworkers and my employer in order to work in a pleasant environment. Sadly, even with all of my efforts, I soon realized that it won't be as easy as I thought. I discovered that selfish behaviors in the team were hindering the productivity of the group. Unfortunately, more often than not, I got sucked up in an unfavorable and unstable climate to work efficiently. For example, one of my colleagues, Isabelle, undermined one of our co-workers was not placing enough customers at the tables she was serving that day. Isabelle said to the hostess that she was getting sucked up with small tables that won't give her enough tips at the end of the day. My colleague definitely hindered an environment where there are mutual aid and productivity on the work team. These offices' politics certainly engender undermining behaviors that do no encourage withholding. Should I tell my superior about this problem even though I know very well that Isabelle is Claudia's daughter, who is my boss and that I most likely risk getting fired or I should let this injustice pass and close my eyes?

Choice 1 : Explain to Claudia my concerns.

Choice 2 : Let go of this injustice.

Conflict in a restaurant.

University of Montreal.

I applied to the Psychology program at the University of Montreal for the reputation it has, concerning the many branches of psychology. However, I still hesitate between the job of a clinical psychologist, which consists of observing and interviewing the patient. The clinical psychologist can identify all the issues and patterns, and if it is the case, possibly diagnose a disorder. In addition, they may even need to use aptitude, intelligence, or performance tests to better assess the patient in question. The psychologists will, eventually intervene in the meeting to discuss their findings and thus propose solutions and an intervention plan. Also, I am thinking about the profession of a criminal psychologist, which is a branch of psychology those focuses on the criminal's attitudes. They established profiles of potential criminals or victims and propose intervention strategies. To which sphere of psychology should I go?

Choice 1 : Clinical Psychology.

Choice 2 : Criminal Psychology.

UdeM.

Clinical Psychology.

Charlie, who was one of my psychologist friends with whom I graduated 4 years ago, who is an employee working for a cabinet in Laval for an anxiety clinic told me that there was a vacant position for the job of a clinical psychologist. She explained to me that I could benefit from the fact they were hiring since there had been a lot of leaves of absence because of maternity leaves. Also, many employees quit for summer vacations. Two days later, I decided to apply for the post. HR returned my phone call and asked me to meet me in order to get me to be interviewed. I presumed that the department verified my working background and my experiences package before getting in touch with me. My meeting went pretty well, we discussed compensation, salary, and pensions, for example. After talking for twenty minutes, the management and the HR confirmed to me that I was hired and that they were very happy to count me among their team.

Write a choice here.

Clinical Psychologist.

Criminal Psychology.

Since I practice my profession as a criminal psychologist, for exactly seven years, I had to deal with a lot of tricky situations. For example, while I was interrogating and listening to two criminals in one of my group therapies, I got myself into a tricky situation that had never happened to me before. I was asking them questions about their feelings that followed the crime they committed, and the men started to flirt with me, told me compliments. At first, I didn't think, because of the subtitle flirtation, that they were slowly having sexual misconduct towards me, the recipient in this case. It is when they asked for sexual favors that I realized that the perpetrators were having sexual harassment behaviors. I have dreaded it since I wasn't sure how to handle this uncomfortable situation. I had good reason to be dreading because quickly the flirting quickly turned into sexual harassment, but I would have liked to be more able to assert myself and deter them to continue their misconduct. Should I tell gently the boys that I don't like their behavior and try to solve the problem by myself or ask the administration to no longer be on their case?

Choice 1 : Try to solve the problem by myself.

Choice 2 : Ask the administration to no longer be on their case.

Criminal Psychologist.

University of Quebec in Montreal.

Having chosen UQUAM for its fewer didactic and traditional teaching, I, therefore, aim to specialize in a branch of psychology that will give me additional challenges and get me out of my comfort zone, the comfort zone of the classic clinical psychologist who sits in her office and listens to patients addresses their problems. I hesitate between sports psychology, which focuses on all the players' mental in a sports team while they are practicing their activity, and military psychology, those concentrates on the military well-being and ensures that they maintain good morale, especially cognitively, despite the upsetting situations they may face on a daily basis.

Choice 1 : Sports Psychology.

Choice 2 : Military Psychology.

UQUAM.

Come back to school.

Having decided to go back to school, two years after the end of my time at CEGEP, I now have to make a tough choice as to which university I will go to. I am thinking of going to either the University of Quebec at Montreal or the University of Montreal. My mother who is a psychologist that studied and had a satisfying experience at UQUAM surely influences my decision. However, I take into consideration the distance from school, the time it takes me to travel, and the different options to get to the university since I hate having to use all of the public transport.

Choice 1 : University of Montreal.

Choice 2 : University of Quebec in Montreal.

Students in University.

Continue to work at my old job.

After volunteering abroad, I decided to return to work in my old position, but unfortunately, there were big surprises ahead of me. A few days after my return, I was a victim of an act of alienation between my boss and my colleagues at my job. I knew, at that time, that I was doing overtime because of the lack of employees during this summer. Of course, it was not totally worthwhile for me to do these extra hours since my job was not to be the hostess in the restaurant, but being a waitress. My boss alienated me by abolishing all my experience as well as my feeling of contentment and fulfillment after my day working being a waitress by replacing it with her own desires for her small business. In the end, I felt powerless and sad to work because I didn't really have a voice and a word to say in this situation. I immediately thought that I was not being treated the right way by my superior, and I couldn't see that my boss was listening to her needs before anything else.

Write a choice here.

Waitress in a restaurant.

Sports Psychology.

Now a sports psychologist, for 6 years now, I have faced many dilemmas regarding the direction of my career in particular. Last week, for example, I got a job offer with a professional hockey team in Finland. If I accept the proposal, it will mean moving to Europe. I would now be far from the ones I like. However, if I refuse, I also say no to a salary that is twice as rosy as the one I currently have with a major junior team in Quebec. What should I do?

Choice 1 : Go to Europe.

Choice 2 : Stay in Quebec.

Sports Psychologist.

Military Psychology.

Having finished my studies in Montreal and succeeded in my re-established camp at the Military College of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, I have been working for 5 years at the Kingston Ontario military base. I travel a lot with regiments that carry out missions around the world. Since I have been affiliated with the same troop for some time, I have gotten to know the army in depth. During my last deployment to Afghanistan with my team, I had to deal with one soldier in particular because he had developed post-traumatic stress disorder. He suffered multiple injuries on the ground. By spending time with him and doing several therapies to alleviate his fears and rebuild his self-esteem, I discovered that I was beginning to develop feelings for him. I don't know what to do, because I know that a psychologist is never supposed to engage emotionally with a patient. I am afraid that my feelings will divert attention from the effectiveness of my work. However, I am in an area that I love, I am fully engaged and I have developed a sense of belonging that allows me to surpass myself and help the military quickly because I now know them very well. Should I ask to be redirected to another regiment or continue my work as a military psychologist with my current regiment anyway?

Choice 1 : Ask to be redirected to a new regiment.

Choice 2 : Continue my work as a military psychologist with my current regiment.

Military Psychologist.

Explain to Claudia my concerns.

Just as I had assumed, Claudia and became suspiciously angry, defended her daughter, and decided to fire me from the job that I loved so much. Now I have to find another job at another restaurant. I'm going back to square one.

Write a choice here.

Firing an employee.

Let go of this injustice.

I was hopeful that other degrading behavior of this kind would not happen again, but unfortunately, I had to deal with an act of corruption, a desire to hijack the system, but it was done by one of the clients, this time. It was a minor transgression if we compare to all the corrupt and bribed moves that take place in the political sphere, for example. Yesterday, a regular client, Rene, ordered his usual plate. Then, after he finished his command, he asked for extra strawberries on his pancakes. However, even if he knew the rules, that we had to charge him for these additions, he still tried to circumvent the regulations by telling my colleague that he will give her a huge tip on his receipt, so he didn't have to pay the extras. The worst part is that I saw my coworker accepting his request with the bribe. Sadly, it happened a lot during the following days and it started to seem like an ingrained act. Rene certainly knew that he is important for the assets of the restaurant because he comes in many times a week. He is an asset to the enterprise. Maybe, he would have resorted to threat in order to get what he wants if my colleague had refused his proposition, instead of bribing? Who knows? Maybe, he would have theft things from the restaurant, by impulsiveness?

Write a choice here.

Corruption

Ask to be redirected to a new regiment.

I am now accompanying another regiment to Vancouver this time. I live well with the decision I made to leave since I have not been against the ethical regulations of psychologists. However, it is obvious that the remote relationship is not obvious, but I try to apply my resources to relationships as a psychologist. Communication, listening, and empathy remain the key.

Write a choice here.

Canada regiment.

Continue my work as a military psychologist with my current regiment.

Despite the fact that I have the chance to spend a lot of time with my attendance, I live very badly with this idea of not respecting the rules that a psychologist must follow to continue their mandate with ease. I've been living with this secret for two months and I have been considering the option of leaving the regiment in Kingston, since it's never been in my values to lie.

Choice 1 : Ask to be redirected to a new regiment.

In love with a military.

Go to Europe.

While going to a conference on positive psychology through sports, I met my lover there, who is also a psychologist. We founded our family and practiced our trade for 25 years. Now is the time to think about retiring. After 25 years of working in successful enterprises and having a drive of work that allowed and helped us to flourish days by days, my boyfriend and I finally decided to take our retirement together. The last year was pretty difficult. We struggled because we were slowly beginning to find that our routine at work was long and that our days looked like drudgery. We were clearly lacking motivation, and we needed a change in our life. This finding alarmed us and confirmed that maybe we had to think about retiring. Often, in these situations, retirements are the solution for many people. For several years, my husband and I set aside some money, in order to have a most enjoyable retirement. Sets aside are never easy because we have to be constantly disciplined during our adult life. Since we no longer need to pay a mortgage for my house, we have less expense to spend on this last stage of my life. However, since we retired to work, we have continued to pay a pension to the government. Although it's nice to have more free time, retires is never easy, however, as clothes change quickly. We certainly had to adapt during the last few weeks.

Write a choice here.

Finland.

Stay in Quebec.

A few days after I decided to stay in Quebec, I realized that I wanted to help a larger clientele solve other types of problems. I didn't just want to limit myself to players from sports teams. So, I decided to change the branch of psychology for clinical psychology. I set up my basement and prepared my own office at home to do private practice.

Choice 1 : Clinical Psychology.

Quebec city.

Try to solve the problem by myself.

I gently explained to the men that I did not appreciate their insistent advances. They seem to have been surprised by my reaction, understood my frustration and ended up apologizing for bothering me.

Write a choice here.

Solve a problem.

Ask the administration to no longer be on their case.

I was deported to another case with new offenders. However, this one has just mentioned to me that he is a cousin with another of my clients. I have a conflict of interest, so I have to transfer my patient to another of my fellow psychologists who will be able to take care of him.

Write a choice here.

No longer on the case.

Commentaires

Messages les plus consultés de ce blogue

My Psychology Listicle

An Interesting Glossary...

How to Properly Use ¨Virtual Writing Tutor¨